Welcome to Nutrisystem Blogs
21222324252627
28293031123
45678910
Blog Subscription
PastorLisa's blog
Food Expiration Dates
Why doesn't some of the NS food have expiration dates printed on them? A friend gave me three boxes (yes, three whopping boxes) of NS food but only the liquid soups have expiration dates! The breakfasts don't; the lunch powdered soups and chicken/tuna salads don't; the dinner entrees don't. So - how long can NS food sit around before going bad? Any thoughts?
Published Sun, August 28, 2011 05:47 PM by PastorLisa
2getthinagain said:
Because they are like Twinkees...they never get old. :) Seriously. I don't think most have expirations. I was given some too...and they didn't have dates, and I'm still alive. :)
August 28, 2011 05:54 PM EST
grandma_sandy55 said:
My husband thinks they would make good rainy day food storage. Like the military MREs. I have accumulated some excess meals too, so I started sharing them with my husband. Last night we both had NS pizza. He said he liked it, so easy meal for me.
Sandy
Grandma_sandy55
August 28, 2011 06:01 PM EST
Bettie13 said:
At one time a NS counselor sent me all the foods and expiration dates where they were needed. I'd send you the list but I'm not sure if I still have it. I actually found the list but I have no way to send it to you as I printed it but then deleted it from my computer. It looks like the range is 6-18 months with some having no shelf life listed at all. Call and tell a counselor you'd like to have the list of foods that includes the shelf life. This list is actully somewhat outdated as some items are no longer available. Betti
August 28, 2011 06:21 PM EST
katedfowler said:
i had to call the customer service number when i got my first order because i thought there's no way someone could eat un-refrigerated meals with meat in them
August 28, 2011 06:26 PM EST
Willduit said:
The food does get stale but it takes a LONG time. The pizzas lose their freshness in about 3 months. The savory snacks lose their crunch after about 6 months. I've never gotten sick from anything but I have decided not to eat a few things because I didn't eat it soon enough. I write the date I unpack it on each package so I know to eat the old ones first.

What a bounty !
willduit
August 28, 2011 06:43 PM EST
PastorLisa said:
Thanks for your responses! Great idea to write the date received on the food as it comes in. I went through the 3 boxes I had been given and to my dismay, the stuff that had expiration dates were dated 1998....so I think I'm chugging the whole lot.
August 28, 2011 06:50 PM EST
Alan_E said:
I think I've got some Chocolate Peanut butter bars from the 1990's era as well. . .(LOL). They taste a little stale, but I like peanut butter so I'm managing. My wife hasn't tried eating any more of my snacks since. . .my chocolate crunch bars are safe from her curious palate. (sinister laugh) But my lemonade wasn't as lucky! These might be a good product to put in an "Emergency Supply" kit just in case. . .they are certainly better than any rations I had in the military!
August 29, 2011 12:56 AM EST
Moderator said:
The shelf life of Nutrisystem foods varies from 6 to 18 months. The products have a code to indicate the production date. In order to know the expiration date on these products, it is then necessary to know how long the shelf life is. We will be more than happy to help you out if you give us a call at 1-800-585-5483, option number 4, and provide us with the following information: Nutrisystem SKU and Lot Number.
August 29, 2011 09:55 AM EST